In recent years, pet squirrels have skyrocketed in popularity. Not only are they intelligent, playful critters that make great companions, but they also require relatively little space and don’t need to be walked on a daily basis like a dog or cat.
But once you’ve decided to get a pet squirrel, the next step is probably one of the most important—finding an appropriate name for your new family member! Here are 50 unusual names to give your pet squirrel for your reference.
The Unique Nature of Naming Pet Squirrels
Naming your pet squirrel is an important part of its life.
A name should be something that reflects the unique personality of your furry friend, while also being easy to remember and pronounce.
As such, it’s important to take time when coming up with your pet squirrel’s name.
It should be something that you both like – after all, you will be calling them this for a long time.
Finding an appropriate name for a pet squirrel can be quite a challenge due to its strong resemblance to other rodents.
Unlike cats or dogs, where names can be quite varied compared to other members of its species, there are only so many creative options that make sense when naming a pet squirrel.
You want your furry family member to stand out from the crowd and have a name that suits them best.
Luckily, there are many interesting and unique names that you can choose from if you’re looking to make your pet squirrel’s name stand out.
- Related post: 8 Reasons Why Squirrels Make the Best Pets
Naming Your Pet Squirrel to Build a Strong Bond
While choosing the right name won’t guarantee an instantaneous bond with your pet squirrel, it can be a helpful first step toward forming a strong connection.
Having a special moniker makes your pet feel more appreciated and special, which can help to build trust between you and your furry friend.
Even simple names like Sandy or Fuzzy can evoke a sense of familiarity and unity, making both yourself and the squirrel feel comfortable in each other’s presence.
When you have established a relationship based on mutual trust and respect, it can be much easier to train your pet squirrel, as well as take them out for fun outings or playtime activities.
- Related post: 4 Creative Ways! How To Engage With Your Pet Squirrel?
50 Unusual and Creative Names for Your Pet Squirrel (and Their Meanings)
When looking for a name for your pet squirrel, you might be struggling to find one that is both clever and meaningful.
Luckily, there are a plethora of creative and unusual options you can choose from. Here are 30 unusual and creative names for pet squirrels and their meanings:
1. Acorn – A type of nut that is popular with many squirrels
2. Alfalfa – An edible plant that makes a great snack for these furry critters
3. Bandit – A moniker fitting of the bushy-tailed intruder in your home
4. Chestnut – A type of nut commonly found in nature
5. Nutkin – Refers to the habit of collecting nuts by these animals
6. Buttons – Refers to the black button eyes of some species
7. Cinnamon – Refers to the reddish fur coloration found on some breeds
8. Whisker – Refers to their distinctive whiskers as facial features
9. Snowball – Perfect for fluffy white varieties
10. Quincey – Meaning “born fifth” this could be ideal if your squirrel was born later in a litter
- Related post: Do Squirrels Eat Blueberries? How Many?
11. Dusty – A cute option where fur coloration may match its name
12. Flower – Symbolizes beauty and life, perfect for a beloved companion animal
13. Chipmunk – For breeds with similar coloring to this iconic woodland rodent
14. Chatterbox – They can make quite a ruckus when they chat away
15. Fluffykins – Just as it sounds – they often have large tufts of fur!
16. Gizmo – Perfectly describes their playful nature
17. Tippytoe – Symbolizing how they deftly hop across surfaces
18. Zippity – For those ultra-fast little critters who never seem to slow down
19. Nibbles – Because everything looks tasty when using those tiny teeth
20. Thimble – A small cup-like measurement tool, which also describes body size
21. Scamper – Their love of running around wildly fits this perfectly
22. Pipsqueak – An applicable identifier for smaller breeds like chipmunks/flying squirrels
23. Crumbs – Reflecting an affinity for leaving trails wherever they go!
24. Drifter – Symbolic of how easily these furry characters wander off without warning
25. Toffee – Named after its caramel-colored coat pattern
26. Twinkletoes – Perfectly sums up their adorably agile feet
27. Wildfire – For those more adventurous types who always seem ready to rush into something new
28. Charmer – These charismatic creatures sure know how to charm their way into your heart
29. Dandelion – A delicate flower that reflects the gracefulness of these animals
30. Maverick – Describes their propensity for pushing boundaries
31. Sandy – Refers to the color of their fur which resembles sand
32. Cricket – For a nocturnal critter active at night like their cricket counterparts
33. Pecan – A type of nut favored by many species of squirrels
34. Hazel – Refers to the color of the eyes in some breeds
35. Fuzzy – Perfectly describes their signature furriness
36. Velvet – Refers to the soft texture of their coats
37. Sunrise – Symbolizing a new day with each dawn, perfect for an early riser
38. Twix – A classic candy bar also known as a double biscuit treat
39. Stardust – Reminding you that your special companion is out of this world!
40. Speckles – When the fur is flecked with multiple colors, this option fits well
- Related post: Juicy! Do Squirrels Eat Strawberries & Go Nuts!? (Video)
41. Ginster – Named after its yellowish-beige coloring
42. Gizelle – Connoting both gracefulness and power
43. Nacho – Mexican for “my friend” it’s perfect for someone close to you
44. Jackalope – A tongue-in-cheek descriptor for larger varieties
45. Waddlesworth – Describes comical gait when these animals walk
46. Jaxon – Powerful yet cheerful sounding, perfect either way
47. Bounce – Alludes to how they bound around with ease
48. Yogi – After the famous bear who loves his picnic baskets full of sweet treats
49. Saffron – Brings thoughts of orange spices used in culinary dishes
50. Sprinkles – Refers to how they can quickly scatter away when threatened.
- Related post: Do Squirrels Eat Raisins? How Many? How Often?
When selecting a name for your beloved pet squirrel, it’s important to remember that you will be speaking this name for many years to come.
It should represent the personality of your furry friend and also be easy to remember and pronounce.
With such a wide range of creative options available, it can be difficult to choose just one!
Be sure to take time when finding the perfect moniker for your special squirrel companion as it will stay with them forever.
The above 50 unusual names to give your pet squirrel are just a starting point. You can find more names on the Internet that suit your new family member.